Dlighted isn’t just a deposit free renting provider – we’re also campaigners for better renting.
Our #ditchthedeposit campaign highlights how:
- Deposits lose £4.1bn for the UK economy every year – even though 98.5% are handed back untouched
- Deposits cost renters an average of £1000 – forcing many into debt or the arms of slum landlords.
- Deposits don’t protect landlords – with the government’s proposed deposit cap of one month’s rent only covering superficial property damage or a single month’s rent and not contributing towards the cost of evictions
- Deposits facilitate theft – crooked landlords and agents were convicted of stealing £1m of deposits in 2016, and almost £800,000 already in 2017
Our aims are:
- To convince more landlords and letting agents to move from deposits to deposit replacement insurance – giving renters and landlords a better deal.
- To put pressure on the government to add a “deposit free renting” option to the panel of authorised tenancy protection schemes (mydeposits, DPS and TDS) and to help renters convert existing deposits into savings accounts for properties of their own.
You can sign up to our campaign here